Thursday 3 May 2012

Polenta

When I first started teaching myself to cook a long while ago (you would think I would be better by now) somebody gave me a copy of the Silver Spoon, the essential Italian cookbook.  One of my favourites in this weighty tome was the simple sausages in tomato.  Just brown off some sausages and then cover in passata, throw in a bit of salt and pepper and cook with a lid on for about half an hour.  It sounds too simple to be tasty but it really is.  I have not had this in a very long time but it popped straight into my head when I was trying to think of something that I could accompany with polenta for my first foray into making it.  It seems weird to me now that I have never made it as it really is my type of food.  It's easy to cook carbohydrate that benefits greatly from the addition of parmesan.  That's my main food criteria hit.  It's May already and I shouldn't be seeking the comfort of dishes like this but with all the rain we've been having lately I am craving comfort food.  This has just rocketed right to the top of that list.  Even above cheese on toast which is about as good as it gets.  I'm not going to write a recipe for this because all you do is cook some sausages in tomato, make up some polenta to the instructions on the packet and add a generous sprinkling of parmesan on top. It doesn't get easier than that.  Even making mashed potato is more effort for goodness' sake.  


No comments:

Post a Comment