Friday 20 April 2012

Cheese Risotto

Cheese really is one of my favourite foods and when I was leafing through some of my cookbooks this week I spotted a couple of risottos made with cheese and thought I would give it a go. Most of the recipes required fontina cheese which I really cannot find near me so I improvised heavily and I doubt any Italian would call this a proper risotto so I was a bit nervous about the combination but was really pleased with the result. It was cheesy and oozy but not too overpowering, really filling and comforting. As usual I forgot to check my ingredients before I started and was a bit short on parmesan so I used what I had and next time would use more like 50 grams.


Ingredients:


150g arborio rice
1 - 1 1/2 litres vegetable stock
30g strong cheddar cheese
30g emmental 
30g parmesan plus extra for sprinkling
30g butter
100ml white wine
Serves 2


Melt 20g of the butter in a saucepan and then add the rice, coating it in the butter. Add the wine and cook until mainly absorbed, stirring frequently.   Add the stock a small amount at a time, stirring frequently and adding more once it has been absorbed.  Each risotto seems to take a different amount of fluid, add until the rice has softened.  This should take no longer than 20 minutes.  Once the rice is cooked, stir through the remaining butter and the cheeses with some salt and pepper.  The residual heat of the rice should melt the cheese.
Sprinkle some additional parmesan over the top and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment