Sunday 22 April 2012

Salted caramel shortbread

I first tried to make this last week after seeing this blog post and it went disastrously wrong.  I should have worked out that it would as it involved a) pesky conversion from American measures and most importantly b) a sugar thermometer.  I own a hell of a lot of kitchen paraphernalia, too much if you ask my husband, but one of those little blighters is not among the masses crammed into my cupboards.  I've never needed I one for making caramel so it didn't seem too important at the time. It all looked fine, looked like caramel and then in the flash of an eye it turned really dark, scary dark.  Out of nowhere.  Then due to what I can only describe as pathological clumsiness I proceeded to throw the saucepan of boiling hot sugar everywhere, namely all over my hands.  I won't repeat what I said but it really hurt.  My cries of pain could clearly be heard all over the house as the husband rushed to my aide and swiftly dunked the aforementioned limbs into cold water and then looked helplessly over the now solidifying toffee all over the kitchen.  I could do nothing but look a combination of pitiful and sheepish.  
Fast forward one week and now having full use of my hands again I decided I was not going to be beaten by salted caramel shortbread.  Macaroons had already defied me and there was not room for one more dissenter in the ranks.  I decided to wing it which is what I should have done in the first place.  I know how to make shortbread and I know how to make caramel, this should have been over a week ago rather than heading for round two. This time there was no injury to report, although I am having trouble typing this having burned my left hand on the oven earlier today.  I really am a waking disaster area. I may have slightly burned my caramel (it really does happen frequently) and have dark flecks spreading throughout but it tastes awesome and isn't really that unattractive so I'm happy.    It ain't too pretty but it is tasty:




Shortbread:
185g unsalted butter
80g caster sugar
270g plain flour


Caramel:
397g can of condensed milk#
50g light muscovado sugar
50g butter
1 tsp ground sea salt plus extra for sprinkling on top


Makes 20 small squares


Grease and line a 6in x 8in baking tin. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
Cream the butter and sugar for the shortbread together.  Then add the flour and bring together into shortbread crumbs.  Press into the tin and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Bake the shortbread for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden on top and put to one side to cool.
For the caramel heat the condensed milk, butter, sugar and salt together on a very gentle heat until the sugar is dissolved and the butter melted.  Then bring to the boil.  The caramel needs a lot of stirring but take it from me you need to be really careful as it's getting hotter.  Once the caramel has boiled lower the heat right down and simmer for 2-3 minutes.  Pour immediately onto the shortbread, add extra salt on top and leave to one side to cool.


Eat with tea and glory in not making a mess of yourself and the kitchen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment